From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 09:55:04 +0000
At 10:03 PM 3/16/97 -0700, John T. Whelan wrote:
>J Michael Neal says:
>
>        This year's seedings are internally consistent according to
>one set of priorities and procedures, but it was not generally known
>until after the fact.  Next year the details may be different, and
>we'll have a different set of criteria to justify it.  I'd feel a lot
>better about the process if the selection committee published its
>groundrules at the beginning of the season.

Do these rules, in fact, get set at the start of the season? Are they
published or does the general public find out the criteria after the selection
is done?

I would certainly think the coaches would want to know the selection rules
at the start of their season since that knowledge might affect their
coaching strategy. If I were #13 going in to the last weekend of the
season and knew that ONLY the top 12 would move on, I'd probably
make different decisions as opposed to believing that I still had a chance
at being selected.

I also think there would be less whining on this list if the selection
criteria were known in advance. Then there would be no question of making
up the selection rules to favor or punish a specific team after the
final standings are known.

Never mind, I take that back. I don't think anything can be done to
minimize the whining ;-)