From:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 01:56:22 -0800
J. Michael Neal wrote:

I'm going to have to contradict Mr. Whelan on this.  1995 was not the
last time we heard about this rule; it came up last year.  Apparently
Shawn Walsh's complaints only succeeded in delaying the implementation
of the "Clarkson Rule" by one year.  I know that it was discussed on the
list when we talked about the seeding last season.  Further, if I
remember correctly, Vermont only received a bye last year because of
this rule.

My contention at the time (I was disgruntled by the fact that Minnesota
was higher rated than Vermont and not only didn't get a bye, but would
have to beat Michigan to make it to the Final Four) was that I didn't
mind if the NCAA came up with guidelines like this, but that they
shouldn't spring them at the last minute.  I was not on the list in the
spring of 1995, so it must have been discussed more recently than that.

<snip>

This could not be the case as UVM did not claim both the regular season
and Tourney Championships last year...They won the regular season with 37
pts, but flopped out in Placid...

Kevin Todd
SLU '96