From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Nash
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 12:36:51 -0600
>Date:    Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:35:45 -0600
>From:    Brian K Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: michigan fans(cheer)
>
>In reference to the dispute over who started the goalie sucks
>cheer. I heard the Minnesota fans use that cheer at the 1989
>NCAA Final Four. Does anybody know if it was used before that?
>
>Brian Wallace
>U of North Dakota

I was at that '89 championship, too, and I think you were likely hearing
the Harvard fans (all 500 of us...). If UMN did use it, it must have been
vs. Maine after hearing the Harvard fans at the MSU game...  I have not
heard the gophs use it since, personally.

We actually threw this topic around on HOCKEY-L a couple of years ago, and
I believe that the oldest source is Harvard.  It's certainly ECAC in
origin.  I note that in the five years I've been at Wisconsin, the cheer
has gradually gained favor, and the Friday crowd's student section pretty
well has it down. I still miss hearing the entire Bright arena (with the
possible exception of the reserved-fur-coat-wearing-alum section) yell it
so loudly that it echoed....

-john nash

-==-John R. [log in to unmask] Chem. Dept-==-
                 --- "When in doubt, roll!" ---