From:
Chuck Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:11:47 -0500
Greg Berge writes

> >         I see from the boxes that Jason Elliott played both games for
> > Cornell this weekend.  What happened to Jean-Marc Pelletier?
>
> As you've no doubt seen from the boxes, JMP was held out of both games.
> I  don't know why, and haven't found anybody who does for sure.  One
> possibility this time of year is illness -- a hockey team is a little
> like an elementary school; somebody's always sick.  But he was on the
> bench all weekend, and we could hear him against Brown -- he was quite
> vocal.
>
> So, has the coach made his choice for the stretch run and is getting
> Elliott used to playing on back-to-back nights?  I don't know.
> Personally, I think JMP has the higher "ceiling" while Elliott is more
> consistent.  Given that Schafer is, from his other moves (line
> shuffling, player usage), moving  into postseason mode with a vengeance,
> it is my guess that we are not going to see much of JMP unless Elliott
> has a bad game.  Last year's tourny MVP  may be all the credential
> Elliott needs to overcome JMP's better stats (against weaker opponents).

I've heard Schafer say in interviews several times that he
prefers going with one goalie, especially for the stretch run,
and would be making a choice.  This looks like a tentative choice
of Elliott, probably spurred in part by his good Harvard game.  I
don't know how one chooses at this point, except by what Elliott
did last year.  On that basis, it's hard to say his ceiling isn't
pretty high.  And, Pelletier's consistency has really been good
too.  In games at Lynah, we haven't seen him need to be
spectacular (and his style isn't one that makes him look that way
anyway), so it's hard to picture his peak.

> p.s.  Big shakeup in the Sat lineups was the absence of Cooney *and*
> Papp.  Peach was back (and got another goal!), and Sacchetti dressed
> (but rode the pine all night).

The line shuffling was all due to injuries.  Cooney was kept out
because he injured his shoulder again the previous weekend and
hurt his knee in the mid-ice collision against Harvard.  Papp has
a chronic back injury.  Brown was probably a logical game to give
both some time to recuperate.  Auger didn't play much late in the
game because of the injury he got from the kneeing penalty on
Brown's Prescott.  Not to stir up trouble with Luiz, but Brown
while not a physical team was among the worst we have seen at the
cheap side of play:  kneeing, spearing, chops on the back of the
neck unseen by the ofhockeyficials.

--
Chuck Henderson  <[log in to unmask]>