From:
"Brett C. Harvey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett C. Harvey
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:25:19 -0600
>        I can't believe that Sertich would say something like that.  Are these
>comments just rumors or are they from a reliable source?  I know that
>during the course of the game Sertich was yelling at his team, "look at
>this tradition, do you see the tradition hear!"  I interpreted this to
>mean that if the bulldogs can build a tradition by beating teams like the
>Gophers.
>        Sertich is a class act, and knows that a comment like the one
>you stated could get the Gophers really fired up.  I just can't see him
>saying something so stupid.

Star Tribune Newspaper Article Quoted Below:
"The Gophers got an unexpected emotional boost from Bulldogs coach Mike
Sertich, who belittled them after Friday's loss. Near the end of the game,
Gophers coach Doug Woog said, Sertich looked toward the Gophers bench and
said, 'Where are the 75 years of pride?' That comment was especially
difficult for Woog to swallow, since more than 100hockey alumni were at
Mariucci Arena on Saturday for ceremonies commemorating the anniversary."
http://www.startribune.com/cgi-bin/stOnLine/article?thisSlug=UPUK17

There were a couple other articles mentioning this same thing BUT I
couldn't find the online reference to them.  I believe it was also
discussed on MSC but I could be wrong about that.

So, YES, Sertich DID in fact say something THAT stupid.  Between Neal
Broten visiting the locker room before the game and Sertich's comments -
the gophers actually came to life and played a real hockey game!  I have to
wonder if they will remember these comments for the rest of the season.

Brett