From:
Dan Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:34:36 -0500
Classification:
Prologue: Dan Olsen
IBM Global Services
Client Services Representative
East Fishkill, NY / Building 504 2J5-21
Ph: 8-532-5259 / (914) 892-5259
FAX: 8-532-7588 / (914 )892-7588
Mail: IBMUSM00(DOLSEN) or
Epilogue: Dan Olsen

It seems that our college basketball friends have adopted the tradition of
throwing things on the court.  At last night's Pacific-UCSB basketball game
(televised at 12:00 EST on ESPN), "fans" of Santa Barbara littered the court
with tortillas prior to pregame warmups.  The officials assessed a technical
foul to UCSB to begin the game.  In response to this, several more tortillas
cascaded from the stands prompting a second technical foul and a PA message
from the University.  After the four technicals were shot (only 1 was made),
the UCSB fans again littered the court with tortillas after Pacific's first
field goal.  UCSB was charged with a timeout and the fans were warned by the
official that a third bench technical would result in removal of the UCSB coachi
ng staff from the game.  This seemed to halt most of the Tex-Mex Maulers, but
then some idiot continued to shine one of those laser lights in the face of
Pacific free throw shooters.  (Unfortunately I didn't see the resolution of
this conflict...my bed was too comfortable).

Kudos to the Big West officiating crew for not losing their cool and also to
Pacific's coach for not pushing the matter.  The players and officials were
there for a baketball game and they didn't let matters get out of hand, despite
the actions of the student body.

Couldn't they find something better than tortillas, how about plastic rats or
something.