From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 15:11:35 -0500
On Feb 4, 17:56, "Dave Chamberlain(Mich '62)" wrote:
>This brings up a question: What is the rule on players from one team skating
>into the other team's end of ice once a period is over. I know this incident
>was after the game but I recall a 2 minute minor penalty being called on Army
>at Notre Dame last year when an Army player inadvertantly crossed the
>centerline as he came over the boards to the ice on his way to the locker
>room between periods. Last weekend, at Union, the whole Union team skated
>among and past the Army team, as Army was proceeding to leave the ice, to
>congratulate their goalie(since it was the end of the second period, he was
>at the far end of the ice from the Union bench). No problem between players
>existed, but I began to wonder what the rule was and if called correctly at
>Notre Dame in 1996, why not at Union in 1997.

I don't recall a rule preventing players from skating into the other team's end
when a period is over.  If such a rule exists, it's going to make it difficult
in rinks such as Cornell's Lynah, where both locker rooms are at one end of the
rink.

I think in a case where both teams have to use the same entrance or go to the
same end to exit the ice, the officials can hold back one team until the other
has left, and they can call a penalty on a player who violates this.  Maybe this
is what happened in the Army-Notre Dame game?

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"So what's Cornell's strategy now -- go to the net?"
-- Grady Whittenberg, Cornell (WQNY) play-by-play announcer, following the
   clean-up efforts after Providence goalie Dan Dennis got sick on the ice
   during the first round of the Syracuse Invitational