From:
David W Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 10:35:25 -0400
>The FleetCenter simply kills this ambiance.
>
>While the old barn lacked the amenities and easy concourse access, the
Garden possessed something the new building lacks -- a soul.  Yes, the
wooden seats >of the Garden balcony often left you squished and packed in
like a People's Express flight, but people overcame it and focused squarely
on watching, no, >actually "impacting" the game.

>The building appears stale and corporate, encouraging people to sit
complacently.  Moreover, the second tier of luxury boxes between the lower
and upper >decks really detaches the upper attendees from the action.

I think we can all agree that the old Gahden needed to go, & that the
FleeceCenter is a modern, state-of-the-art facility.  But how can a
spanking new building have any soul?  It's probably not too much of a
stretch to say it's kinda like a baby.  How much "character" & "soul" does
a newborn have?  Yet, as people age, their life experiences help shape
their character & define what is in their soul.  Will this new facility
have the same experiences as the Gahden did?  Will we see another Orr
stretched out after scoring the Cup-winning goal (that has to be one of the
greatest photos in my hockey memory).  Will we see another Bird launching
buzzer-beaters & making no-look passes?  Unfortunately, I think not, but I
hope it has something close to resembling those experiences.  For that to
happen, it'll take many years, filled with gifted athletes savoring
glorious victories & suffering bitter defeats.  And I'd like to think that
the annual Beanpot & HE tournaments, the 1998 Frozen Four, etc. will be
part of that.  You can't turn on tradition like a light-bulb.  It's
something that builds over time.  A big part of the problem with the
FleeceCenter (other than that you need to mortgage your house to attend a
game & consider investing in some concessions) is that, from the day the
doors opened, the primary occupants couldn't (& still can't) hold a candle
to some of their predecessors.  They're not filling the place with a lot of
excitement, let alone contenders, so the place continues to be this
sterile, corporate playpen.  I'd much rather pay a few bucks to see some
great college hockey in a local arena than $50 (or more) to see the local
pro teams lose.  Can anyone in the Chicago area offer an opinion of the
United Center?  As different as it may be from the old arena (name escapes
me at the moment), has it helped that Da Bulls have continued their winning
ways & already brought home 1 (2?) Championships?  I bet it has.

So, let's hope that college hockey helps define the character & soul of the
Fleet, & that over time, the local rivalries help build that tradition.
Given the current state/direction of the Bruins & Celtics, it may be all we
have to hope for for years to come.

Dave
UML'86