From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:44:51 -0500
Enough has been said to cover my thoughts on the Union-RPI game..  So
I won't add more.  I'm looking forward to the rematch next weekend.
On to more long-term issues.

This morning's Sunday Gazette in Schenectady contained a front page
story updating the situation regarding the new rink for
Schenectady Youth Hockey and potentially for Union College.  The
article is included below (from http://www.dailygazette.com).

Although the article reports that nothing has been decided from the
Union end, I've heard from a few people who heard from a few people (I
can't say for sure if they're more than rumors) that the deal is
pretty much done, and that if Union doesn't agree to be part of the
new facility, it won't get financing.

Unfortunately, it seems that the official decision on Union's part may
already be made, with very little time having been given to get a
feeling for what people think of the idea.  Reaction I've heard has
been almost unanimously against moving the team off campus.  Arguments
against the move that I've heard (and agree with) include that it will
make it harder for students to attend games, make it more difficult
recruit players, and would take away a lot of the advantages a small
rink like Achilles can give.  If it has been determined that Achilles
is not a good enough facility for a Division I hockey program, it
seems that it would make sense to look into improving Achilles or
replacing it with a new on-campus facility.

Here's the Gazette article:

Hockey rink may be built

Developer, association agree on $5 million Sch'dy facility

By COLLEEN BRUSH
Gazette Reporter

SCHENECTADY - A developer plans to build a $5 million ice rink on
North Jay Street for the city's Youth Hockey Association and others to
use, the association's president said Saturday.

The association forged a deal Friday with the developer after a year
of searching for a new home, said Michael J. Caruso, association
president.

The association and other city skating groups would lease space at the
two-rink complex, Caruso said. The rink would also be available for
public skating, he said.

The 350-player youth hockey group currently skates at the City Center
ice rink on State Street in the city. But that rink is closing at the
end of the month and will be transformed into a soccer complex.

The new rink's developer, who Caruso said does not want to be named
yet, is already trying to get the financing for the rink, Caruso
said. The land is owned by David P. Fusco, who could not be reached
for comment Saturday.

The rink would be built on land behind the Nott Street Ramada Inn at
the former site of the American Locomotive Co., which left about 35
years ago, Caruso said.

Fusco owns three of the 4= vacant acres on the site and the Colonial
Car Wash on the Nott Street side of the property, Caruso said.

"The developer has put in motion and laid the groundwork to go ahead
with the project to build a twin-sheet facility," Caruso said
Saturday. "We want the skating public to know we are definitely going
to have a facility next year to skate in."

Before the agreement with the developer, many city ice skating groups
were in danger of not having anywhere to skate.

The hockey league met with the developer late Friday and reached the
agreement, Caruso said.

"We worked very hard to put a business plan together," Caruso
said. "We've made this developer very interested in this project, and
he has started the ball rolling."

Union College, which is debating whether to move its men's and women's
ice hockey teams, is another possible tenant for the new rink.

But college officials have not made up their minds yet about moving
from the Achilles Rink on campus to an off-campus site.

"Union is still in the discussion stage about a new rink," college
spokesman Charles Casey said Saturday. "It is way too early for us to
make a decision. We will consider a proposal I'm sure."

Union College President Roger Hull met last week with students from
both the men's and women's hockey teams, along with other student
lead- ers, to discuss the possibility of moving to an off-campus rink.

"We wanted to get them on board with the discussions," Casey
said. "Nothing has been decided yet."

If Union decides to join the new rink venture, the size of the rink
would increase to at least three sheets of ice in the skating complex,
Caruso said. That could increase the cost by a couple of million
dollars.

But with or without Union, the developer plans to move forward with
the project, Caruso said.

"Union's been very cooperative. They've worked very hard on something
that could benefit the college too," Caruso said. "If they decided it
isn't in their best interest at this time, we want the public to know
it is going on regardless."

Several other groups have plans to lease space at the new rink,
including the city's adult hockey league and local figure skating
groups, Caruso said.

Caruso said the hockey league has not signed the agreement with the
developer yet. He did not say how much the league would pay to lease
the rink. He also did not say when construction would begin.

He said the developer would have to get city approvals to build the
rink.

Mayor Albert P. Jurczynski said Saturday he is happy to see the youth
league accomplish its goal of finding a new rink in the city.

"If there is anything we can do to help them, within reason, I will
certainly make sure we do it," he said.

The mayor said he does not know what type of approvals the rink will
need from the city, but he added if the plans look anything like what
was discussed in the past, he expects no opposition.

"I will encourage the zoning officer to be as cooperative as we can be
in making this a reality," Jurczynski said.

The youth hockey league and the developer plan to release more
specifics about the project once the developer begins to design the
complex, Caruso said.

"It's been a long road," Caruso said. "We are very excited about this
project."

reply to Gazette Newspapers:

--
Jim Teresco '92, '93G - [log in to unmask]
Lab Manager - Union College PASTA Lab, http://www.pasta.union.edu