From:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1991 08:47:27 LCL
GatorMail-Q                   FWD>Brown skating band
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 91 15:14:10 -0800
From: [log in to unmask] (Matthew Merzbacher)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Brown skating band

I, too, was in the Brown Skating Band.

Since I graduated in '83 as well, I probably know which Eric you're
talking about.

The band skated at three or four games every year.  One year, we even skated
AT Yale, but in general, we didn't skate at away games for two reasons:

  1. To make a good skating show, you need about 60 people, which means two
  busloads, instead of the one load that most bands take on the road.

  2. The other band doesn't want to be shown up.

Yale actually put on a show, but they just walked out on the ice with their
instruments.  We only skated.

The practice of skating between periods was discontinued about 5 years ago
when the time between periods was shortened.  To allow cleaning the ice, we
always had to ask the opposing coach for permission to extend the intermission,
but the ECAC stopped allowing that.

It had nothing to do with insurance.

It's a damned shame they don't allow it any more.

There you have it.  Feel free to post my comments to the list at large.
 -- MM

Matthew Merzbacher	ARPA:	[log in to unmask]
Moo - Moo Moo  		UUCP:	...!{uunet|rutgers|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!matthew
               		This time, *with* the oys