From:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 1996 12:58:57 -0500
Mike Machnik wrote:
>> But the funny
>> part is that Merrimack reacted like it was UNH taking a cheap shot at them.
>> Another Merrimack player proceeded to fight with UNH's Filipowicz while Flip
>> did his best to just hold back the player.  I don't know what happened when
>> they were at the bottom of the pile, but in the two or so minutes that the
>> referees let this continue and while they were in plain sight, Flip never
>> threw a punch or retaliated in any way.  Filipowicz ended up with a game DQ
>> for fighting and will miss tomorrow night's game.
>
>I didn't see it this way.  It was Tom Johnson who was paired off with
>Filipowicz and both were definitely throwing punches.  I had the DQ's for
>both written down even before the penalties were assessed.

I agree.  I'm pretty sure I saw punches from both players.  I wrote
them both off as DQ'd early on in the fight.  Umile was none to
pleased with Filipowicz when he was (briefly) in the penalty box
afterwards.

>Boguniecki received a DQ because he left the bench during an altercation
>under Rule 6-14-e.  The referee isn't supposed to determine what the
>intentions may be of the player leaving the bench; you simply aren't
>allowed to do it.  Unfortunately for Boguniecki, a mistake was made by Dick
>Umile in sending him out there at that time, and as a result Boguniecki has
>to sit out a game.  It should not have to have happened, and I'm sure Umile
>is aware of the mistake.  He is a class act and I believe his intention was
>a good one, but he may have forgotten the rule at that instant.

This is really strange.  I didn't see Boguniecki leave the bench, but
my attention was drawn to him when I heard Umile and assistant Chris
Serino yelling at him from the UNH bench.  It was difficult to hear
what they were saying, but it sure looked to me like they were telling
Bogey in no uncertain terms to get back on the bench.  He never did,
of course.  On the other hand, he didn't join in the melee either.  He
just waited at the blue line for the fight to end and then went in to
calm down the rest of his players.

I was pissed at Boguniecki for leaving the bench.  He's a captain --
he has to play and lead the team more intelligently than that.  But
now Umile is taking the blame?  Very strange, considering what I saw,
unless Umile immediately realized that what he'd asked Bogey to do
was very wrong.

Chris