From:
Laura Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 06:40:49 PST
On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Joe Davison <[log in to unmask]>said:

> ...  But, comparatively speaking, UVM fans are both
> knowledgeable and classy.   I've been to most of the rinks in the ECAC and
> many Hockey East rinks and I can tell you that there are some real pigs
> out there---Clarkson, Cornell, Brown, etc.  Some of the stuff that goes on
> is officially condoned in that it is instigated by the pep bands, mascots,
> etc.  If I had a young child I wouldn't take him/her to a game at
> Clarkson!!!!

No offense, but are you sure you've been at the same Gutterson that I have
for a UVM game?  If I had a young child, there's no way I would take him/her
there for fear having him/her get hit in the eye or face with a piece of
trash (like has happened to me more than once).  You must not sit anywhere
near to the student section.  In my experience with UVM fans (and no, I'm not
saying all of them are like this), they have been far from classy and more
like the "pigs" you claim Clarkson, Cornell, and Brown to be.  Granted, I
traveled with the pep band and no home arena that I know of favors an
"invading" band, but no other arenas' fans have ever treated us with the
disrespect that UVM fans have.

Yes, visiting fans and pep bands expect heckling and taunting, but getting
pelted with food, paper garbage, spit wads, and gum??? I think not!  Yes,
Clarkson and Cornell (sorry, never been to Brown) fans may use more profanity
than necessary (boy, I never thought I'd defend the "Section O sucks"
fans ;-) ), but at least you know that you're only at risk for verbal attacks
and not physical ones.  In all the rinks/arenas I've been to, UVM by far has
ranked highest on places I least like to visit.  And, believe me, I'm not
alone.  My husband was also in the pep band and can verify my claims, along
with any pep band member and Clarkson alumni who has ever made the trip to
UVM.

As far as pep bands and mascots condoning poor fan behavior, I can only speak
for Clarkson.  First, the Clarkson mascot (at least the woman I knew) never
(to my knowledge) condoned profanity or abnoxious behavior by the fans.  I'm
not even sure if she had even ever used profane language herself.  Second, if
you pay attention, you should notice that whenever the student section begins
one of its more inappropriate cheers, the pep band will (almost always) start
playing to try and drown out the cheer along with its inappropriate language.
This may have relaxed in the last few years, but when I was there, we were
told by the arena director that it was our job to play when the swearing
started.

So, in summary, if you can't tell by now, you've hit on a sensitive area for
me <g>.  I repeat that I'm not trying to generalize the behavior of all UVM
fans, just as I'm sure you weren't trying to do to Clarkson and other
arenas (right?).  I just hope that maybe next time, you'll take a good look
at the "pigs" in your own "barn" before you praise them and criticize others.

Stepping off the soapbox now <g>,

Laura Phelps
Pep Band
Clarkson '94