From:
Shawna Giguere <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:36:47 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-05 08:44:12 EST, [log in to unmask] (Karen Ambrose)
writes:

<< Here it is Wednesday and no one has really posted anything on the
Governors'
 Cup beyond the scores and the fact that my beloved Wildcats won the
 tournament.  There were about 50 UNH fans in attendance and I guess we were
 the most boisterous (especially since we won).

Being one of the lucky few from Maine that actually got tickets to the
Govenor's Cup  I would have to agree with Greg on many of his comments about
the tournament, except of course the one about "great pleasure watching UNH
tuck it to the Black Bears" :-)

The game between UVM and UNH was a good one.  Vermonts line of Ruid,
 St. Louis, and Perrin was "FLYING", however I can't imagine how they do it.
 They were on the ice almost constantly.  (or at least it seemed that way)

As Greg stated UNH dominated UVM during the second period and unfortunately
they did the same thing to UMaine during the second period of the
Championship game.

The game between Lowell and Maine, especially the 3rd period, was equally
entertaining.  Maine played one of the best defensive periods that I had seen
them play all year.  They rarely let the puck get past the neutral zone and
when it did, it didn't stay in our defensive end very long.  If I recall
correctly the Riverhawks only had four shots on goal during that period.

I was also disappointed with the UVM fans and their quick exits from the
games.  It was unfortunate that the championship game had so few people in
attendence (I wouldn't even estimate that there were 200); and that the UVM
fans choose to "jump ship" on their team during their lose to UNH.  Although,
I do have to admit I would love to see the Alfond Arena at Maine get pumped
up like their fans did when they were there.  It's been a while since we've
heard noise like that from the Alfond.

Congratulations to UNH, they played consistent through both of their games
and even though they had substantial leads over their opponents they didn't
let up at all.  They stayed focused and played the game as though the score
was alot closer.

Shawna Giguere
Go (Maine) Blue!!