From:
James Clippinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Clippinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 12:43:39 -0500
On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Mike Machnik wrote:

> At 10:40 PM -0500 11/29/96, LONNIE CARPENTER wrote [on INFO-HOCKEY-L]:
> > The Miami Redskins defeated the Red Raiders of Colgate by a score of 14-2,
> > tying a school record of 9 goals in the second period.
>
> OK, did anyone see this game?  We kept getting the updates at Dartmouth and
> were shocked.  How in the world did this happen?  I thought it would be a
> good game...I doubt anyone expected a score as one-sided as this either
> way.  Miami and Colgate are both good teams.

*sigh* Miami came in and played a good, but not great game against
a Colgate squad in chaos.  The defense was nowhere to be seen,
both Dan Brenzavich and starter Shep Harder had horrific nights
in goal, and the offense was mediocre.

At their best, the Red Raiders could have made this a game.  But this
was far from their best.  It also made it perfectly clear that Colgate
depends far too heavily on senior defensemen and goaltending.
If the Ds don't play well, the offense cannot set itself up
and the deep and talented forward corps is useless.  Similarly,
the defense has been allowing far too many quality shots on net.
It worked in the early season, when Dan Brenzavich was strong
and even when he wasn't, goals would be scored, but now that
both goaltenders are flailing it shows.

Can Colgate turn it around before Wednesday night's game at Cornell?
Normally, I would say they could not...but Cornell has a special
place in the players' hearts, and a win in Lynah would put
the season back on track.  If Brenzavich gets his confidence back,
and if the defense steps up as they did early in the season, this
could be a good one...

James Clippinger
Colgate '96 Dartmouth '0?
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~james/