From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 18:43:39 -0400
At 2:48 PM -0500 11/26/96, Rick McAdoo wrote:
> Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]> wrote regarding UNH-BC stats:
> >this last powerplay was never credited, it should have been UNH's 6th of
> >the night.  Was it under some time limit?
> >I doubt this ... but, did it have anything to do with B.C. pulling their
> >goalie?
>
> UNH was already on a power play (5 on 4) and as far as I know the extra
> penalty (making it 5 on 3) would not be counted as a separate power play,
> but as a continuation of a (2:59 long) powerplay.

I looked at the box again, and here were the penalties:

>    BC - Mottau (interference)                           18:29
>    BC - O'Leary (high-sticking)                         19:28

I do know that if one team is assessed two minors at one stoppage,
resulting in a 2:00 5x3 for the opponent, and the opponent does not score,
it goes into the books as 2 PPs.

On the other hand, why should you assume the goal in the BC-UNH case?  If
UNH had scored during the 5x3, then Mottau would have come out of the box.
The second PP would not have kicked in until Mottau's penalty expired,
either because of a goal or because the 2:00 was up.  That argues for
counting it as one PP.

I wouldn't argue with calling it 2 PPs.  But it is an example of how things
are not clearly defined.  And it's possible that a mistake was simply made
in this case and they forgot to count the second PP.

> >Another scenario would be that a team goes on a powerplay and 10
> >seconds later, they commmit an infraction bringing the teams to even
> >strength. Which means the latter team will also have a 10 second
> >powerplay after they get their man back. Do these teams get credited
> >with powerplays?
>
> I have seen this listed both ways depending on the scorekeepers, but my
> own understanding is that if you have a man-advantage due to a penalty
> for any length of time (5 min., 2 min., or 2 sec.) it should be counted
> as a power play.

Correct.  Doesn't matter how long the PP is.  You only get 10 seconds of PP
time, but you only have to kill 10 seconds of the opponent's PP.

> This can get
> very complicated real quick, though.  If you have a 5-minute major with
> no other penalties, then it is a single 5-minute power play.  If you
> have the same major but the other team gets a 2-minute minor one minute
> into the major, then do you have 2 power plays, one for the first minute
> of 5 on 4, and then one more for the 2 minutes of 5 on 4 after the
> intervening 2 minutes of 4 on 4?  I say yes, they are separate power
> plays.

I disagree.  If no goals are scored, then the major still counts as one
opportunity.  You shouldn't penalize the team for not scoring on the PP.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****