From:
Russ Bone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 23:44:28 -0700
TerryTuschen wrote:

> Wisconsin didn't come to play Saturday afternoon.  Although the penalties and
> power plays were one sided, (2 5x3's in one period? in a non chippy game?)
> the Badgers got whipped and deserved to.

Whoever told you that this was a "non chippy game" was way off.  This
eyewitness saw serious ugliness on Saturday.  Lucia, in a post-game
interview, commented that it was not such a hard-hitting game, but full
of nasty "stick work."  He was right.  I was looking forward to
commenting about how many cheap shots the Badgers were taking against a
better skating team, but it was CC in the second that delivered the
game's ugliest incident (even worse then Krug slamming Brian Swanson to
the ice after a very pretty goal).  Freshman Cam Cryway (in a
retaliatory mood from an earlier nasty slash) skated perhaps half the
width of the ice and cross-checked Smith from behind into the boards.
It was a sickening play and Cryway was appropriately tossed.  Both teams
had their nasty moments.  I do have to say that it was pretty pathetic
to watch Sauer wave his hands in disgust towards a CC player down on the
ice from Badger stick work instead of getting on his players (it
appeared that this player actually went for an X-ray, missing most of
the second period).  Finally, this was a game that the referee's should
be called on the carpet for, as it appeared that they lost control
early, and never gained it back.  To their credit, however, Sunday's
game was called more closely and didn't get out of hand.