From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 21:48:59 -0500
Jim Teresco's post had all the facts--Union dominated totally.  There wasn't
much to report regarding the game itself, so I didn't.  Satruday's game was
the worst the Engineers have played since...the last time they played at the
Knick.  For those of you keeping score out there, RPI has NEVER scored a goal in
the Knickerbocker Arena.  Perhaps that will change when the name of the joint
changes to the Pepsi Arena (ugghh!)  Actually I should correct that.  The first
Union goal was last touched by an RPI player.  The replay clearly showed the
RPI player touching the puck with his stick, and then Prekaski completely
losing sight of the puck as it trickled between his legs.

Prekaski was absolutely huge.  The first goal was a fluke.  The second goal was
a major defensive mistake--Pat Brownlee escorted Union's Russ Monteith to the
goal and provided a screen while Monteith found the opposite corner.  Brownlee
had done the exact same thing three times previously during the game but
Prekaski had come up big each time.  In fact the entire RPI defense played
inadequately, shying from any physical contact whatsoever, unlike their progress
to date.  I would have like to seen Trevor Koenig given a chance to display
his stuff, but the RPI attack, as Jim reported, was non-existent.  I don
don't know if Pete Gardiner will stay on the first line in place of Matt Garver,
he doesn't seem to fi. Steve Caley might be a fit, but he places center.
The only slight positive to the Engineer's night was the play of the third (?)
line, the big boys, consisting of DiPaolo, Shepherd and Battaglia.  They
actually seemed to create match-up problems for the Union defense.  They even
garnered a few shots.

Now my complaints.  I'm not going to mention the inconsistent officiating,
because Jim already did, and it had no effect on the outcome.  But I am
beginning to have some doubts about the venue.  The conditions last night were
terrible.  The temperature inside the Knick had to be at least 85 degrees, and,
as a result the ice was soft.  The ice didn't harden until 2/3 of the third
period had expired.  Both teams had a lot of problems with the ice surface
with players falling all over the place at inopprtune times.  The center zone
seemed particularly treacherous as skaters would repeated lose an edge going
across the blue line.  The puck also seemed to constantly tumble--whether that
upset the RPI forwards is conjecture, since Union seemed to hbe able to handle
the conditions to their benefit.  But the Engineers did seem to dislike the
narrow AHL ice sheet the game was played on.  Why won't management ever play
a game on the Olympic sheet which was the main design element of the Knick?
And why can't manage learn how to moderate the interior temperature?  It is hot
for almost every hockey game, although paradoxically they seem to control the
temperature better for the big crowds at the River Rats games.

Will there be another RPI/Union game at the Knick?  The walk-up save the show
from being a complete disaster, but the Knick was dull, dead, quiet.  RPI fans
sat on their hands for the entire night, not that they had anything to cheer
about, but the overall atmosphere was dreary.  If they intend to host more
college games at the Knick, it should be a tournament with teams other than the
ECAC participating.  A good test for the interest level in the Capital District
would be a tournament with RPI, maybe Union, and a CCHA or, if they really do
reduce their schedule, a WCHA team.  But the current formula, IMHO, is a loser.
Don't look to see a third RPI/Union game at the Knick next year, for the fan's
sake.
Brian Morris                     RPI Engineers--Big and Nasty