From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 05:41:53 EST
Adam Wodon wrote:

>This is true, and I don't wish to get into this.  I do feel, however, that
>there are some people who have perceptions that are inaccurate.  I would not
>argue that the cumulative strength of the ECAC is lower than the others ...
>but my points are 1) it's not by much  and 2) so what.

I could not have stated it better myself [which explains why Adam is doing
an internet show and I am not :-) ].  We have had many discussions about
which league is the best since I joined H-L.  The opinions that I have
formed are exactly what Adam stated in the last sentence above.  Yes the
ECAC is the weakest of the four leagues, but by very little -- certainly
not the gulf that separates the top Div-I league from the bottom in either
of the two so-called major sports.  Secondly, even though the ECAC is the
weakest on the average "so what."  This doesn't stop the competition from
still being there and also doesn't stop some of the teams from being
competitive on the national level each year.

When BC, BU, Maine, NU, Providence, and UNH broke off and formed the HEA in
1984, I felt that this would be the beginning of the end for the ECAC.
(Lowell wasn't in the ECAC before the breakup, were they?)  I was disgusted
with my alma mater, RPI, for not having joined the ECAC, so much that for the
first time in my life, I wrote a letter of complaint.

Anyway, a couple of years ago, RPI again looked into leaving the ECAC and
joining the HEA.  They ended up deciding to remain.  At this time, I was much
more comfortable with RPI staying in the ECAC -- I would have preferred them
to move, but I saw several advantages in RPI remaining in the ECAC.

The fact is the ECAC is still here as a Div-I league, and it seems to be
more stable than western leagues currently.  (In order to attempt to head
off flames, I will expand upon this.  What I mean is that the CCHA has lost a
couple of team in the last few years and the WCHA will be losing NMU after
this year.  I am certainly not stating that I think that either of these
leagues is going to fold.)

Now I should keep a copy of this message so that I can use it the next
time this discussion comes up

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74
Beat Vermont and Dartmouth!