From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 14:53:20 -0400
I wholeheartedly agree with Wayne on this issue and couldn't have
said it better myself.

On 13 Aug 96 at 14:05, Wayne T. Smith wrote:

> U Maine did not cheat wrt the 1993 Title, by any definition that I
> know.  Obviously 2 rules were broken (Ingraham and Dunham
> incidents), and final responsibility rests with the school, but that
> does not mean the school cheated.

Exactly, and just to add to this point by Wayne, *had* they cheated
there is NO WAY in hell that the NCAA Executive Committee would have
set the precedent they did yesterday.  Think about it for a minute,
this committee has never allowed a title to stand when a player is
ineligible.  We are talking about Maine, not some big revenue school
or even a sport that gets incredible exposure, and they let the title
stand.  To me, as a journalist and a fan, that means the evidence was
clear and by releasing their decision immediately after reaching it
means the NCAA was clear in making it.

I agree the rules are there for a reason and we need to keep them.  I
also believe strongly after all I've seen as a Maine fan with
this situation, that the NCAA.. as a system.. was fair and that they
acted accordingly.  It was a long case, and difficult for both sides
but the NCAA has done the right thing in both penalizing Maine and
upholding Maine's contention that they should keep the title.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
Orono, Maine
INFO-HOCKEY-L Admin