From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 14:05:00 -0500
Mike Smar wrote, in part..
> I think these are the reasons why we continually have problems with cheating and
> athletics. Which university in a major athletic conference, in any sport, is going
> to unilaterally declare that they'll follow the NCAA rule book by the
letter. None. ...

(Please add IMHO to each sentence below! .. wts)

I think this is an unfair, emotional and uninformed position on
Universities, U Maine, and this item in specific.

U Maine did not cheat wrt the 1993 Title, by any definition that I
know.  Obviously 2 rules were broken (Ingraham and Dunham incidents),
and final responsibility rests with the school, but that does not mean
the school cheated.

The final statement is probably untrue at most schools and is blatently
untrue at Maine.  But declaring honesty and intent to follow the rules
is not the same as  providing the leadership, cooperation and funds to
have the systems and knowledge in place to actually get the job done.

I'm not defending what some have called a "Division II mentality in a
Division I athletics program", but hauling honesty and ethics into this
specific situation and all of college sport in general because of this
incident and ruling is unfortunate and wrong.

Now, if we are mixing this (1993 Championship) decision and the
earlier Infractions Committee rulings, then I'll add that a strong
message *was* sent to U Maine.  Some has been written about most of
the other provisions, but not much about the designation as "repeated
offender" (or whatever the wording is).  During the next 4 years, any
major violation could lead to drastic penalties, including suspension
of a varsity sport.  Let's say Joe Nowheels doesn't like the playing
bench time he is getting and decides to throw in the towel.  I suspect
he could quite easily both find some unknowing people to commit
violations and to "cook" some up in his mind and then leak the
"information" to the NCAA.  Scary thoughts for U Maine administrators,
I would think.

Let the games begin (at last), Sunday morning, Oct 6th at 12:01 am for
the 1996-97 Maine Black Bears Midnight Madness)!

cheers,
wayne

Wayne T. Smith                 [log in to unmask]
Systems Group -- CAPS          University of Maine System
Co-owner of the College Hockey mailing lists