From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:53:42 -0700
Hey all:

Just an opinion from the west coast.  IMHO, the huge NCAA rulebook,
compliance directors and their salaries, and all the other compliance
stuff is a RESULT of athletic programs getting out of hand. Maybe it is
overkill, maybe not.  But if athletic programs were behaving reasonably
and not cheating, there would be little or no need to spend precious
resources on things like compliance officers.  Unfortunately this is never
going to happen. Big time college athletics (and D-I hockey certainly
qualifies for that description now) will always need to be tightly
controlled.  Sad but true.  The abuses will go on, people will get caught,
and more rules and tighter requirements will continue to build.

I for one, having seen many abuses (both caught and not), am not unhappy
at most of the NCAA requirements and enforcements. Better that than
anarchy and millions of dollars under the table.  If it means we have to
live with a few unreasonable rules, I think it is ourselves we must blame.
If the university community showed more self-restraint, perhaps the NCAA
would back off. For now, I see no arguments that they should.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64, U of Illinois (C-U) '66 and '69

Physics Dept
Cal Poly St Univ, San Luis Obispo (Div-I for two years)