From:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 14:53:18 -0400
OK, I guess I really hadn't thought it through before when I posted that
Miami should keep it's name.  Redskins is an offensive name, and it should
be changed.  That doesn't change the fact that american society today is
overly sensative when it comes to political correctness.  All team names
carry a lot of tradition with them, and changing them is a drastic measure.
If Miami does change their name, I hope they do keep it as a Native American
reference, only making it one that glorifies the native americans as opposed
to a degrading one.  What really bugs me is when people want to change the
name of a team because it refers to a race or ethnicity, regardless of
whether or not the reference is good or bad.  Case in point: the Atlanta
Braves (again, not college hockey, but this discussion encompasses all of
sports).  Native Americans protested the World Series last year because of
their name.  Their name is glorifying Native Americans, and should be seen
as an honor, not an insult.

                                -Josh Kleinbaum