From:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josh Kleinbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 00:14:34 -0400
At 07:30 PM 7/25/96 -0400, Mike Machnik wrote:
>At 10:19 AM -0400 7/25/96, D.B. Erickson wrote:
>> As to the impending(?) change of Miami's mascot, I find it to be just another
>> chapter in the Political Correctness Handbook.

>The question is, how much should colleges allow themselves to be dictated
>to by special interest groups.  UMass is a good example.  The school
>changed its nickname many years ago from a Native American name to
>Minutemen, which lasted for about two decades until it was claimed that
>even that was offensive to Native Americans.  UMass held out and didn't
>change, but that situation does point out why D.B.'s tongue-in-cheek
>commentary might not be so tongue-in-cheek after all.

        I couldn't agree with you more.  Living in the New York area, I just
recently saw the changing of St. John's Redmen to St. John's Red Storm.
While this isn't college hockey, this principal of catering to the whims of
special interest groups is seen throught all of sports.  The Redmen had a
lot of tradition, and, if I were an alumn, I'd be outraged.  I really don't
understand why people are insulted by team names referring to a group of
people.  Quite frankly, I'd be honored in Miami changed their name to the
Miami Kleinbaums (although for some reason I don't see that as happening),
or even the Miami Jews (if there are any Jews in Ohio ;-) ).  It's all a
matter of perspective.  Instead of seeing the name as insulting, the Miami
tribe should see it as an honor.

                                        -Josh Kleinbaum