From:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Pavelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 08:29:21 CDT
First, I thought the Detroit News article was super.  Especially with all
the NBA troubles this week (assaulting refs), its great to read about
people who simply play for the love of the game.

This is probably a topic that comes up every few months.  The article
mentioned several Yost cheers that I _know_ I've heard up in Ithaca...

> When the clock strikes 1:10, the crowd always asks, "How much time
> is left?" "There is one minute remaining in the game," the announcer
> says on cue.  "Thaaaaaank you," the crowd replies. The announcer
> sometimes plays along and says, "You're welcome."
>
> The fans aren't as kind to opposing goalies. After a Michigan goal,
> the fans point at the netminder and chant, "It's all your fault!"
> When a phone rings in the scorer's booth or the press box, they yell,
> "Hey, goalie! It's your mother! She just called to say, 'You suck!'"

I know that the Lynah Faithful adopted (stole) some Michigan cheers after
the '91 playoffs.  Specificaly, I'm thinking of the "...aaaaAAAAA SEE YA!"
cheer after an opponent gets whistled for a penalty.  What about the
two examples above.  Did they originate at Cornell or Michigan?  Or are
they originate somewhere else?  Are there other common cheers (except for
the obvious ones like 'sieve')?

--
from: LTJG Kenneth A. Pavelle, NOAA
      NOAA, National Weather Service

      My Homepage:  http://www.abrfc.noaa.gov/kap.html

"Its hard to predict anything, especially the future" -- Yogi Berra