From:
Zac R Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Zac R Halter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:40:02 -0600
On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Christopher Hubbard Morgan wrote:

> At least we brought a band! :)  Special thanks to Boston, Minnesota, and
> Lowell for also bringing bands to their NCAA contests.  In my
> (extreemly biased) oppinion the bands are a fun and integral part of
> college hockey, and I could hear "The Victors" a thousand times and
> still want more.  :)  I especially enjoyed the Minnesota band - they have
> a lot of spirit (even though they prostituted themselves and played the
> MSC fight song).

Zac Halter writes:

I concur with Christopher that bands at hockey games are an integral
part of college hockey.  However, it sounds as if the MI band was getting
a bit carried away with the "Victors" tune.  When you play it too often,
it becomes something less than special.

As for the MN band "prostituting themselves" by play another schools'
fight song, it must be part of being "Minnesota Nice."  If my foggy
memory serves me correctly, the MN band used to play the visiting teams
song (very subdued and unenthusiastic) after a visiting team was
introduced and after they scored!  This, of course, was a long time ago
(back in the early to mid 70's, when the old Mariucci arena was called
Williams arena).  I was wee lad at the time, so if any of you Go Gopher
Puckheads remember this let me know.

P.S. "MSC" fight song?  Is that supposed to be MSU?  Or does Midwest
Sports Channel have a fight song?