From:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 22:17:30 -0500
Andrew Brecher <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>This is to anyone who was at the women's final...I'm really curious now, was
>the hockey playing still solid through all the overtimes or were they all
>dead on their skates?

I wasn't there, but I did watch the last couple of overtime periods on
tape-delay.  There were a lot of tie-ups on the boards, and the
goaltenders were very quick to freeze the puck at almost every opportunity.
I'd say they were certainly a little slower than usual, but when the heat was
on, they picked it up a notch.  In particular, Brandy Fisher scored the
winning goal by doing what every hockey coach preaches -- skating hard to the
net.  When she crossed the blue line, she was two strides behind the PC
defender who was covering her.  But she continued to
drive hard to the net and got around the PC player to get into position to
get the rebound.  If anyone gets the chance to watch the replay, watch how
she never stopped moving her legs, even as she took the shot.  I've seen a
lot of UNH men put in a lot less effort than that...

Chris Craig