From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 14:34:21 EST
At today's River Hawks luncheon the single biggest highlight IMO was the
response Bruce Crowder gave when asked about a contract extension.  He
initially said that talks were underway and he'd like to leave it at that.
But then he added, "But this is MY town.  This is MY team.  This is MY program.
And I intend to stay here."  Sweeter words could scarcely be imagined for River
Hawks fans.

Crowder responded to accolades over his selection as Hockey East Coach of the
Year by deflecting attention to his staff of Tim Whitehead, Mark Carlson, and
Ed Walsh.

Christian Sbrocca was the "Player of the Month," no doubt in honor of his
selection as a Hockey East All-Star.  He said that although he was honored
with his selection, he was saddened that none of his other teammates made
the team.  He specifically mentioned Brendan Concannon, Jeff Daw, Ed Campbell
("I think he's the best defenseman in the league"), and Marty Fillion.
Personally, I would have voted for Concannon and Campbell.

Sbrocca also added humor at one point.  Someone asked about his singing
career.  Sbrocca, who sang both anthems on Senior Night, mentioned that he
sings at a couple bars regularly.  He then looked over at Coach Crowder, did
a doubletake, and then said that he regularly sings at a couple of LOUNGES
(stretching the word out for emphasis).  And that when the season is over he
plans on singing at LOOUNNNGGGESSSS 4-5 times a week.  Well, maybe you had to
be there.

Emcee Bob Ellis also asked about his overcoming the language barrier when he
first arrived at UML.  Sbrocca, who comes from a French speaking family in
Quebec, said that initially it was frustrating to deal with an unfamiliar
language "because I really like to talk alot."  :-)

Although passing mention was made to the NC$$s, both Sbrocca and Crowder
noted that that was too far in the distance.  The thing they are focussed on
is winning a Hockey East championship for the school.   Perchance to dream...

Although Ryan (who was out of school and came with me) and I didn't win any of
the raffle prizes, especially the coveted Lowell jersey, we still won in a
sense.  The guy who won two River Hawks pins said that he could only use one
of them and gave the other to Ryan.  So the Hendrickson tradition of winning
almost every time continues.  :-)

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson    "Robo"     [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!      Go Canucks! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!! Go BU!! Go Maine! Go Michigan. * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*