From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 23:18:39 EST
Kurt Stutt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>... because however many mistakes the
>referee may make, both teams make a LOT more.  Nobody's team plays
>flawless hockey, why should the referees call a flawless game?  Any
>game in which someone claims the referee "lost" the game for his team,
>just how many opportunities did his team squander?  How many
>breakdowns in the defensive zone contributed to the other team's
>goals?  Had these events not happened, the referee's call would not be
>an issue.  So check out your team first, then check the referee.

Right on! I'm a certified baseball umpire about to embark on my
fourth season. When I watch any sporting event, be it baseball,
basketball, or hockey, I like to watch the officials work. It isn't
an easy job. I've made boneheaded mistakes in baseball and I've
caught flak for them from the players, coaches, and parents.
And regardless of whether I've believed I was right in my call, I've
always strived to do better. No sports official is on the court,
the field, or the ice for the money. We are out there because we
love the game and what to provide the players with a good
experience.

I've always wondered what players or coaches would do if all of a
sudden the officials started yelling at them for their mistakes.
No official would seriously give thought to doing such a thing, but
wouldn't it be interesting if the home plate umpire at a baseball
game said, "Hey, pitcher, what's yer problem? Can't you throw a
damn strike? C'mon, it's gettin' late!"

Or how about a hockey goalie who strays too far from the net to
get the puck and gets burned by a speedy forward: "Hey, goalie,
what were you thinking?!"

If an official were to ride players, it would be considered
unethical. For the same reason, it should be considered unethical
for players to ride officials.

This discussion reminds me of a "Seinfeld" episode in which Kramer's
girlfriend heckles Seinfeld during his act at a club. When Seinfeld
confronts her about it, she tells him that he should expect to be
heckled because it's part of the job. Seinfeld decides to get even
and goes to the woman's work and starts to heckle her. She gets
angry because she can't get anything done, so she runs off.

Until athletes become flawless, don't expect officials to be
flawless. There is no such thing as a perfect game.

Ryan Robbins               "Nothing in fine print is ever good news."
University of Maine                                  -- Andy Rooney
http://maine.maine.edu/~rrobbi32/____________________________________