From:
Thomas Fortier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Fortier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 21:25:05 -0500
:)

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Karen Ambrose wrote:

> The ECAC Frank Cole is indeed the Hockey East Frank Cole and, despite the
> fact that he is barely 40, has been doing college hockey games for over 15
> years.  He's a native of Lynn, MA (my home town), played college hockey at
> St. Anselm's, Manchester, NH and has been involved in refereering for almost
> 20 years.    Although no one seems to want to give praise to any official, I
> think most observers would agree he is the best of the lot in the
East... (snip)  The main thing with
> Cole is that he is consistent.  Most coaches and teams know what to expect
> when he is on the ice, especially when paired with his regular HE partner
> Drew Taylor.  And, unlike some refs I see, he is in shape!

Great points!  Cole has reffed quite a few BU games, and unlike some of
the other refs in the league, he does not draw the attention to himself.
he is not the type of ref who fans usually remember as doing anything
particularly bad, in HE at least, and IMHO, that is one BIG step in being
a good consistent ref.  Though he may have been involved in a past
unfortunate incident that I am not familiar with, I would find it hard to
believe that fans would consider Frank Cole to be one to attempt to be
"the show."

> As for the Pierre Belanger Award, can a HE fan join in and name some one,
> actually two, from our league?  Bob Fowkes and Steve McBride have to be the
> worst pair since Abbott and Costello...(snip)
> Somebody in the league office must hate them.  And, how come they
> never do BU games?

Though I don't recall Steve McBride doing any games this season, I know
for a fact that Bob Fowkes has reffed at least two or three BU games this
season.  It struck me the first time I saw him ref how out of shape he
looked, and I wasn't the only one to notice, as some fans took the
opportunity to make several comical comments about him.  However, I do
not recall who his partners were in the games that he officiated.

As for who I think the worst ref would be in HE, I can't say, but I know
many who would agree that Fitzgerald and a certain Mr. John Gravellese
would certainly not be at the head of any list to ref an important game.
Talking about refs trying to be "the show," IMO, these two really take
the cake!

Tom Fortier
BU '97
GO TERRIERS!!!