From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 17:13:35 EST
A couple of quick items from today's Newsday.

Homecoming for Luongo
...Luong wa born in Detroit, played youth hockey there, has a business degree
from Michigan State and a home in Farmington Hills.  "It's a great hockey town,"
he said.  "When I was growing up and the Wings weren't doing as good as they
are now, they were still drawing well and the town was excited about them."

Luongo played for youth teams in Fraser, Grosse Pointe and St. Clair Shore and
got a scholarship to MSU.  He said one of his youth coaches, Jeff Jackson, now
head coach at Lake Superior State, advised him to play college hockey rather
than join a Canadian junior team.  "He went a long way selling it as a route to
education and a possible NHL career," Luongo said.  (And you wonder why he is
such a great coach, mine.)

And also,

Keeping an eye on Luhning
Al Arbour scouted Michigan junior right wing Warren Luhning, who had a goal and
two assists in a recent 8-1 victory over Michigan State.  (I guess the writer
had heard about last weekend at LSSU.)  Luhning is 16-25-41 with 99 penalty
minutes and a plus-22 rating in 31 games.  He is one of the most physical
forwards and best pro prospects in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association.
The Islanders will scout him tomorrow night vs. MSU in Ann Arbor.  (As if the
pressure of trying to finish high in the standings isn't enough.)

"He's got good speed," Arbour said.  "He kills penalties, plays on the power
play.  He's a hard-working guy and he's strong.  We'll have to see."

Brian Morris                    RPI Engineers--Beat Princeton