From:
Jay Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 17:18:03 -0500
On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, peter martin wrote:

>Maybe some Cornell fan could tell me if these legends are fact or fiction:
>I heard that Schafer really revved up the crowd at Lynah against Harvard a
>couple times.  Once, I'm told, he broke his stick over his helmet (maybe it
>was already broken) as he was introduced in the starting lineup and shook
>the pieces at the Crimson players as the fans went wild....another time they
>say he came on the ice with his stick literally in flames, energizing the
>crowd.
>    Did the crowd really used to chant "Kill, Schafer, kill?"
>
>P. Martin

        I can tell you that Schafer did, indeed, break his (doctored) stick
over his head during pre-game introductions.  In fact, a T-Shirt depicting
a Cornell player breaking a hockey stick labelled "Harvard" over his head
was distributed at this year's Cornell-Harvard match-up, the tenth
anniversary of the incident.  I'm not quite sure about the stick on fire; I
have not heard of that before, but maybe someone else has.
        Schafer's tenacity and aggressiveness on defense earned him a spot
in the hearts of the Lynah Faithful, who gleefully chanted "Kill, Schafer,
kill."  The chant was revived this year, and is used whenever Schafer has
an animated discussion with members of the officiating crew.

Let's Go Red!
(You're not a sieve...)

Jay Wang