From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 13:52:00 -0500
Ken wrote:
>> ECAC Tournament:
>>   Omit #11-#12; then 7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9 single game;
>>     reseed then 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5;
>>     2 out of 3 with 5 minute overtime in 1st 2 games;
>>     reseed, then; 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3; then consolation and final.

>Question about the 2/3 with 5 minute overtimes.  Does this mean as many
>5 minute overtimes as needed to determine a winner?

>If not, what happens when:
>        Game 1, tie
>        Game 2, team A wins
>        Game 3, team B wins

OK, I'm not from the ECAC, but what the hey...

Games 1 and 2 of the "3-game set" are the same as regular season games; i.e.
if tied at the end of regulation, the two teams play a 5-minute overtime.  If
the game is still tied at that point, it goes down as a tie.  The teams get
points the same as in the regular season; 2 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a
loss.

Only if both teams have 2 points each is the third game of the series played,
and that is played like a playoff game in HE, CCHA, WCHA, or NCAA would be
played: sudden death with 20-minute periods where the ice is resurfaced between
the third period and the first overtime.

In the scenario you gave above, team A would win the series 3 points to 1 in
two games and Game 3 would not be played.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 21-4-0, 25-7-0