From:
"John W. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John W. Davis
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 15:19:19 EST

> I have to agree to the fact that when the game is in progress there really
> should not be any objects (i.e. a rodent) thrown on the ice.  However,
> after someone has scored a goal, then what harm is being done to the
> players if something is thrown onto the ice.  The only thing lost is time.
> If you have a problem with losing time then perhaps you are watching the
> wrong sport.
>

> Bryan

Disagree!  Disagree!  Disagree!

I have always believed nothing, even an octopus, a fish, tennis balls
gophers, badgers, or hats (in the case of a hat trick) should be
throw on the ice!  It disrupts the flow of the game.  It is not just
time that is lost.  At the very least, it is continuity.  This game
needs to sell it self on its flow.  Baseball takes ten seconds or
better between pitches.  Football has 25 seconds inbetween plays.
Basketball is a constant motion.  And that is why it has become
popular (really exploded over the last ten-fifteen years).  Hockey
has a reputation of combining skill (one that most people don't have)
with speed and raw power.  Taking 10 minutes to scrape something off
the ice is annoying at best.

Someone watching a hockey game for the first time might (probably
would) react negatively to any of the aforementioned things.  It could
turn them off from the game.  It could also take the fans out of the
game.  A few years ago ('92 I believe), I was watching Wisconsin
play North Dakota (in ND).  The game was very close early on and
the crowd seemed to have jarred UW's players.  Two things happened,
first a badger was thrown on the ice.  As soon as the mess was cleared
the UW players turned it up a few notches and began outplaying UND.
The crowd seemed to be sitting on their hands.  Shorlty after that
Jason Zent was taken down from behind on a break away and awarded
a penalty shot.  He scored and the rest of the game merely
a formality.

I believed then and still believe now, that the badger incindent
took UND oput of the game (as well as bored the fans) and cranked
UW into the game big time!

Keep the stuff in your pockets (or better yet) don't bring it to
the game at all.

later
jd