From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 13:38:30 -0700
Now obviously I did not see the 84-85 NCAAs in person from California,
in fact, I ended up viewing them on tape from my father, but they still
rank, IMHO, as the most exciting NCAA *finals* series of games ever. As I
recall, both semis went into multiple OT (of course, I only remember RPI's
3 OT win over Minn-Duluth, Oates vs. Hull :-) and the final was a very
tight 2-1 victory over Providence.  For sheer tightness of games, three
games that coulda gone either way ... this series has got to be near the
top.  Usually when people talk about all-time best teams, that Engineer
team is mentioned near the top of the list.  That being the case, I would
guess that all four semi-finalists that year were also excellent teams,
who, in a different year, might have won it all.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64