From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 1995 11:59:08 -0600
Tony Buffa writes:

> At this point, I must respectfully disagree with Dick Tuthill.  None of
> this stuff is small potatoes IMHO.  This is the kind of stuff that drags
> down all of intercollegiate athletics.  It is the kind of story that makes
> the academic side of the campus totally unsympathetic to the "pampered"
> athletic dept.  It may be small potatoes in terms of dollar amounts, but
> it is a big problem that needs to be dealt with and I think Maine has, at
> least on the surface, done a good job.

Some thoughts on what has been reported and discussed here:

1. From reading what has been posted, there was no one bombshell, but those
   small potatoes do add up.

2. Wisconsin had a similar violation (to one of the Maine violations) a few
   years ago when a booster was giving "below market value" room and
   board to two players. In that case, the athletic department messed up
   in dealing with it -- Coach Sauer thought the associate athletic
   director was dealing with, and he wasn't (I'm not sure who he thought
   was dealing with it). The Athletic Department admitted the error and
   imposed penalties.

   One of the penalties (self-imposed, I think) was reducing the
   scholarship/stipend money for the team the next year by the amount the
   players (who had since graduated) were undercharged (they were asked to
   repay it too, but I don't know if they did). The NCAA also "vacated"
   (I think that was the word they used) the Badger's runner-up finish
   in the tournament for that year.

   What Sauer said at the time is that he "discourages" players from
   living with boosters, but since there are no housing rules for
   regular students, there are no housing rules for athletes either, so
   he can't ban it. I don't know if any of the current players are boarding
   with boosters, but I am confident that any such arrangements are
   being watched closely.

3. The most damaging item it seems (from the reports I have seen) is
   Walsh (and others) violating explicit directions on "integrity"
   issues -- to not take money from the boosters during his earlier
   suspension, and to not have any contact with witnesses (is that the
   right word?) being interviewed as part of the investigation.

   If I remember correctly, one of the things that got Brad Butow fired
   from Colorado College was taking advantage of a loophole in the NCAA
   rules that the Athletic Director explicity told him not to do.

4. The NCAA will almost certainly add something to the self-imposed
   penalties. They almost always do.

   I remember reading an article somewhere once about the law firm that
   Maine hired to investigate this case (I am 99% sure it is the same
   firm). This is one of their specialties; and the NCAA
   compliance/investigations people know them well, and respect their
   work. Usually this firm insists on a very complete investigation and
   stiff self-imposed penalties, as seems to be the case here.

Happy Holidays and good luck to everyone and their teams... (except of
course when they play Wisconsin!),

        --david

--------
david parter                                         [log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison          voice: 608-262-0608/262-2389
computer sciences department                           fax: 608-262-6626