From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 1995 09:11:30 -0700
I know most of you are away from your computers enjoying the holidays, but
my one comment upon reading the article posted by Ryan (some below) is
that, in my opinion,  a lot of time it is the alums who get the university
in trouble (see my prev post on the Illinois slush fund scandal of the
60s).  Their enthusiasm and wanting to see the program win at all cost,
sometimes knows no bounds.  Still, it is the university and coach and
athletic dept job to just say no to outside illegal funds, tempting as
they may be.  IMHO, this kind of stuff has NO PLACE in college sports.
Below I have snipped the pieces of Ryan's post related to the boosters and
alums.  To me, it is a major piece of the report.

A lot of us are alums and certainly enjoy seeing our old schools do well,
but there have got to be limits and when those limits are violated, the
whole of college athletics suffers, IMHO.  I am still amazed that Coach
Walsh was not fired.  I believe there is a good chance, based on my
recollection of the debacle at Illinois, that the NCAA will do so ... and
certainly I think the Maine championship of 93 is also in jeopardy.

At this point, I must respectfully disagree with Dick Tuthill.  None of
this stuff is small potatoes IMHO.  This is the kind of stuff that drags
down all of intercollegiate athletics.  It is the kind of story that makes
the academic side of the campus totally unsympathetic to the "pampered"
athletic dept.  It may be small potatoes in terms of dollar amounts, but
it is a big problem that needs to be dealt with and I think Maine has, at
least on the surface, done a good job.

Wish this came at a different time of year for the Maine supporters.

Happy holidays to all,

Tony Buffa
RPI '64