From:
MICHAEL BRESINA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MICHAEL BRESINA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 23:02:37 -0600
On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Sean Pickett wrote:

> As for the CC-AF series, the two teams have been playing each other for
> far longer than the past few years.  I do not have a CC or AF media guide,
> but I know the two teams played a home-and-home series in 1985-86 and
> 1986-87.  In 1987-88 and 1988-89 the series was reduced to one game a year,
> with the home team alternating.  I believe that CC and AF have played once
> every year since.
>
> As I said, I doubt CC is being 'forced' by Air Force to continue the series.
> Still, I hope that it will always continue.  Besides being a local rivalry,
> it is one of only a handful of series between schools which are in the same
> city.

Perhaps this can be used to come up with a solution.  If the purpose of
including strength of schedule is to encourage teams to play tougher
opponents, allowing teams to exempt games that would logically be played
regardless of the opponent's strength.

Of course, putting this into practice could be a nightmare.  The number
of exemptions per team would have to be severely limited.  A timetable
for exercising them would also be necessary, as would some means to
rectify situations where team A's best choice would be dependent on
team B's, and vice-versa, with no combination satisfying both.

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see."   --  Trent Reznor