From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 08:05:45 -0500
At 09:29 PM 11/14/95 -0700, Arthur wrote:

>However, BU outshot Maine 37-17 and as described by the BU people this
>reflected the play.

No question about it.  BU outshot Maine 14-6, and 12-4 in the first two
periods. It was closer in the first 10 minutes of the third, which was
probably the best point in time for Maine.

>The reason why I'm posting is another issue raised by the BU people.  All
>through the game, including when it was close, there seemed to be no
>atmosphere or electricity at Alfond.  Even though Alfond generally
>provides a tough experience for the visitors even the BU people missed
>the cheering and anticipation.  Also, the BU announcers stated that the
>crowd began leaving with 8 minutes left even though Maine was only down
>two.  The BU crew, sincerely I think, said that the game certainly was
>not salted away at that point.

Salted was an interesting choice in words, since the weather was very bad
here last night.  About the same time BU made it 4-2, it was announced that
it was sleeting and freezing rain.  Many probably took their chances that
since BU was outplaying Maine that it was more wise to head home because of
the weather rather than stick around.  Personally I walked to the game,
rather than driving because I knew the weather would be bad.

>Could it be that Maine fans expect domination and are nervous?  I don't
>write this to gloat or cause bad feelings.  I agree with Deron's earlier
>observation and memory that BU traditionally starts slowly and builds up
>steam.  It is way to early to plan a funeral for Maine.

The crowd was very disappointing, no doubt about it.  One of the Alfond
Arena workers, and my friend and I tried to get our section going all night,
and midway through the third period the Arena worker (whose names still
escapes me, I apologize) said to forget it, because it wasn't worth it.  I
think there are many reasons for this silence.

First off, and severely noted in my section, was the age of the crowd.
Being a Tuesday night the crowd was mainly families, and adults/husbands and
wives.  There were definately a shortage of students in attendence.  This is
partially due to a change in ticket distribution which many students didn't
find out about till after the tickets all the way up untill this weekend
were given out.  What happens here is after the Tuesday distribution for
tickets, they go on sale to the public Wednesday, and stay on sale till 30
minutes before the game, then if there are any left students can get some.
Student tickets for BU went on sale October 3rd.  I'm sure many students
didn't want to pay $12 a pop, and I'm sure many adults did to see such a
game, so I'd imagine there were not many student tickets left, and with the
bad weather who would want to wait outside for an hour or more to get
tickets on a Tuesday night??

Alfond was relatively quiet last time Maine played home as well, and I hate
to say it but I believe that the fans are simply waiting for them to
actually start playing.  Many people up here, media and fans alike, had the
1996 Championship banner raised before the season began.  As we all know
here on HOCKEY-L this is NEVER the case.  Arthur is right in his assessment
that it is not time to "plan Maine's funeral" but it is certainly time for
concern.  Maine fans have witnessed UNH, and BU all jump out to leads, and
all dominate Maine for the first period plus.  It's very difficult for a
crowd to get into the game, when even the team doesn't seem excited.

These are only speculations of course, I am always into the game.  I have a
hard time understanding how one could go to a game being from Maine,
especially when they are playing the team that beat you in the national
championship game and NOT be into it.  Is it Maine fans?  Is it the other
teams?  I think it's a lot of both.

Here's to better crowd support .vs Boston College!

** Incidently, Maine's half of the 50/50 drawing ($1,000 plus) plus a
collection of over $3,000 and a Chicago Black Hawks game jersey signed by
all members of the Black Hawks, and donated by NYA/UMaine graduate Eric
Weinrich were all presented to the Travis Roy last night.  **
---
Deron [log in to unmask]

--> University of Maine Hockey (5-3-2) vs BC 11/17 <--
--> http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html <--
--> Owner/GM/Coach:  Maine Mariners (EHH Fantasy)  <--
--> ** EHH WEB PAGE BEING REBUILT **               <--