From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 18:49:16 -0400
Local news here in Maine had a heart-breaking story about Travis Roy this
evening.  Roy, who is from Yarmouth, Maine, and played hockey for North
Yarmouth Academy was labled by coaches here as the most dedicated player
they've ever had.  The coaches told stories of Roy staying late and hitting
pucks into the net, often till he had blisters on his hands.  He practiced
hard because it was his dream to play for Boston University.

They showed highlights of the game, and I saw the hit for the first time and
as others have said my body just went numb and butterflies filled my stomach.

Coach Jack Parker and Roy's father held an emotional press conference today.
I guess Roy's father came to his side on the ice, and Travis said to him,
"Dad I'm in trouble."  Fighting through tears Roy's father told the media
that Travis will be with the team all year, and as long as it takes.  He
said that it "may not be on skates" but that he'll be with him.  Parker said
that Travis' jersey will be hung for all practices and games, and will be
with the team on the bench during road games.

It seems to me that it is Travis' character to be strong, and hard working.
This works in his favor, and I hope and pray that he can regain full use of
his body, and that he can make his dreams come true and play hockey for BU.

I want to echo those who have said we should all pull for Travis.  He's been
in my thoughts all day, and it's obvious that very many people in this state
are pulling for him as well.
---
Deron [log in to unmask]

--> University of Maine Hockey (2-0-0)
--> http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
--> Owner/GM/Coach:  Maine Mariners (EHH Fantasy)
--> http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/ehh.html