From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 00:22:43 -0100
Ralph Baer writes:
>Due to Ned Harkness leaving RPI after the 62-63 season and Rube
>Bjorkman only staying for one year, RPI had what might have been the
>worst Div-I team ever assembled in 65-66.  The team went 0-for Boston
>for example, losing 9-0 to BC, 9-0 to BU, and 14-0 to Northeastern
>(didn't play Harvard).  If memory serves me well (and it often
>doesn't), RPI's goalie, Dick Greenlaw, was named one of the three
>stars in the BU debacle as he faced an astounding 87 shots, saving 78
>of them.  (Anyone know if either of these is a record?)

According to the 1989-90 College Hockey Record Manual, the ECAC Media Guide
(a few years old) and the 1994-95 RPI Media Guide, Greenlaw made 78 saves
in 1964-65, and on 2/20/65 by the RPI guide, BU beat RPI 8-0.

The 78 saves is an RPI and ECAC record.  It is not an NCAA record as listed
in the CHRM, as the following two goalies stopped 82 shots:

Don Martin, BU vs BC, Dec 1924 (1-0 win!)
Tim Ready, BC vs Princeton, Feb 1936 (1-1 tie!)

However, both record-setting performances can be considered to have
occurred prior to the "modern era".  For lack of a defined start date, I
consider the modern era to begin around 1948, the season in which the first
NCAA Championship was held.

I cannot find a DivI goalie who made more than 78 saves in the modern era,
so perhaps Greenlaw's mark can be thought of as an NCAA record.

As for shots by one team in a game, as with many stats, we run into the
problem where there isn't much in the way of record-keeping.  Few teams or
conferences record such a stat.  I believe I have heard of DivII-III teams
racking up over 100 shots, however - most recently by some DivIII teams
against Scranton.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****
** Send comments/suggestions to: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] **