From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 09:12:39 EDT
> Dave Hendrickson reported that he heard Greg signed with an AHL or IHL team.
> I haven't heard from Greg.

No that wasn't me.  It was someone else who reported it.  At the end of the
season I commented that it was 50-50 and I haven't heard anything defintive
since then.

As to the names, I don't think it's as simple as saying each team can call
itself what it wants.  For the sake of argument, let's say that UML says it
wants to be called UMass since it "was there first".  UMA wants to be called
UMass since it is the primary campus.

The fact is that there are hard feelings at UML over what is perceived as
second-class treatment from UMA people (no one on this list - Leigh has been
a great contributor and seems like a very nice guy).  For example, when the
whole Governor's Cup tournament was put forward, it is my understanding that
UMA was willing to participate only if UML was not allowed in.  They wanted to
be the only "UMass" school in the tourney.  When UML was allowed in, UMA
dropped out.  (If I have my facts wrong on this one, I apologize.  It is,
however, symbolic of many things that UML people complain about with respect
to UMA.  I'd trot out other perceived slights of a similar nature, but this is
my last day before heading to Ottawa so I gotta get some work done.  :-(  )

In the first matchup of the two schools this past year, what was the common
refrain from the UMA fans?  "We're the *real* UMass."

If UMA was *both* the primary campus *and* was the first to field a Div 1
hockey school, then they'd have claim on being called UMass.  For example, if
UML moved up to Division 1 in any sport that UMA was already established, then
it'd be reasonable that UMA be called UMass in those sports.  But in hockey,
each of the two schools have only half of what it takes to be called "UMass";
UML is the established team, UMA is the largest campus.

IMO UMA should be called UMass-Amherst.

DaveH