From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 11:52:32 EDT
>Posted on 19 Apr 1995 at 12:28:19 by Mike Machnik
>
>Re: Salaries revisited
>
>An increased athletic presence leads to interest in the school...from
>prospective students, donors (alumni and otherwise), the community,
>etc.  When you look at it that way, it makes sense to put money into
>areas that will do the school the most good - because a winning
>football team, for instance, often leads to more research dollars,
>better salaries for the other employees, etc.

"Research dollars" have absolutely nothing to do with a winning football
team, but with the quality of research projects, and the reputation
of the faculty member and the institution. With all due respect,
Boston College won't turn into a major research university simply because
it has a nationally-ranked football team. Conversely, my own institution
(Brown) has never had problems attracting "research dollars" although
until recently our football team was at the bottom (or near the bottom)
of a third-rate league (the Ivy League).

Luiz F. Valente