From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 10:15:34 -0700
I know a similar thread was followed last summer, but IMHO (flames
welcome) this kind of salary structure is what sickens a lot of people
about big time athletics:

=====================

On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, Iyer Venkatesan wrote:

(stuff snipped)

> finish in 1980. But he said yesterday that he is not interested in the
> OSU job, possibly because, as both AD and hockey coach at
> Northern, his salary exceeds $100,000 per year.
>
>     Geiger said OSU is ready to pay the going rate for a top-level
> college hockey coach, which may be about $80,000 a year. Jerry
> Welsh, who resigned in February, earned $43,000 this year, which
> ranked him among the lowest-paid Division I coaches.

=================

At my home institution, we hire new PHD's at under 35K per year (almost
poverty in Calif, and certainly almost never get married people at that
level) ... people who have been thru 4 years of undergrad and up to 10 of
grad and postdocs..... our max salary (attained after about 20 years if
you are kept) is 61K.  And we are getting raked over the coals for not
being able to attract minority faculty .... !

What a hypocritical arena
DI athletics has become. The presidents OK six figure salaries for
athletic directors and coaches, and let the faculty recruiting go to hell.
 One of these days, it will all come home to roost.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64
U of Illinois '66
U of Illinois '69