From:
"Breitner, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Breitner, Mike
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 12:01:00 CDT
Sorry, but I'm just catching up on my mail.    :-)

The issue of the IRS looking into the business affairs of colleges and
universities has been a hot topic in the Student Services area of higher
education.  Look for the IRS to use the UBIT (Unrelated Business Income Tax)
to hit educational institutions (especially athletic departments) hard in the
next few years as Congress looks for ways to balance the budget by tightening
tax compliance.  The IRS has always contended that much of athletics, student
unions, and residence life operations are unrelated to the educational
mission of the institution.

Mike Breitner ([log in to unmask])               Commissioner
Northern State University                                CSCHL-II
Aberdeen, SD                                             (ACHA)
REPLY FROM: Breitner, Mike