From:
Ernest Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ernest Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 13:58:05 -0700
Rick Feldhoff writes:

> On the Tues before the Hockey Final Four we went to a BU practice
> and happened to get there early. There was a lone goalie on the ice
> obviously waiting for someone and doing some skating and
> shooting. With no effort at all he lifted 5 or 6 pucks over the net
> from the blue line. A few min later Bill Berglund, the goalie coach,
> came out and worked with him using tennis balls and pucks. He looked
> pretty good, but left the ice during the practice. From various
> posts this may have been McKersie and if so, he looked awfully good
> and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play next yr.

This is nice to hear if it is J.P.  A friend of mine said he saw him
and that he didn't look to good.  I hope he does make a comeback.
From what I've read, and the way he looked at Providence at the awards
ceremony, he's made an incredible comeback even if he doesn't make it
back into the goal.

Does anyone know who it was that hit McKersie?

> That left 3 goalies on the ice for practice who based on the 3 at
> the Hockey Final Four must have been Herlofsky, Noble and
> Ferrulo(sp?). Herlofsky graduates and they have recruited another
> which means they will have 4 goalies next yr if McKersie
> returns. Perhaps they aren't all on scholarship???.

Herlofsky graduates at the end of the year, so he won't be coming back
next year.  When Herlofsky was injured, Noble became starting goalie
until Herlofsky was well enough to play again.  After Herlofsky came
back, Coach Parker decided to rotate Herlofsky and Noble.  Ferrulo
played a couple of games during the third period while Herlofsky was
out and when BU had a large lead.  Mike Eruzione called it "Ferrullo
time" in a couple of broadcasts.  It basically gave him a little
experience just incase anything happend to Noble.  BU has recruited
another goalie for next year.  I believe from Canada.  I forget his
name though.

Chances are that there will be only three goalies with the
possibility of starting next year, Noble, the Canadian guy, and
McKersie.  Noble is pretty much definite next year. McKersie is very
much dependant on his recovery.  If the three of them are up to speed,
I'd say that they would probably rotate the goalies with Noble playing
1/2 the time, and the other two playing a 1/4 of the time each.  This
is what Coach Parker did when he last had three qualified goalies
(Cashman as the lead goalie, and Herlofsky, and McKersie).

Note these are just my opinions and notes from past BU situations.

-Ernie