From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 20:25:33 -0500

>(1) Could someone that really knows the officials and officiating on the
>WCHA and ECAC please discuss them and their style?

I dare say that ECAC refs call the game pretty tightly; a lot
of penalties (esp. if Harry Ammian is involved). They seem to
be pretty inconsistent, but I dare say most conference's fans would
say the same thing about their refs. The best ref, IMO, is John
Gallagher and the worst, IMO, is Ammain (unless *Pierre* is
still around). Ammian is not intrinsically bad, just that
he always calls tons on penalties. He's also al inesman in
the AHL, but he thinks that when he's a ref, he has to blow
the whistle as much as when he's a linesman. But, unlike
some of the others, he's consistent... you know what you're going
to get.

>(2) I would like to go back to 2 referees and 1 linesman in the CCHA.  I
>do not see the purpose of the CCHA trying to be different from anyone
>else.  Sorry, John.
>
>(3) Does anyone know who will be officiating the games in Providence?
>
>(4) Is there a list of college officials in the archives?
>
>(5) Has there ever been spilt crews in college hockey?
>
>A perfect time to discuss as Final Four (Why do some say Phinal Phour?)

Because Final Four is apparently trademarked by the Men's and Women's
Basketball Championships. Apparently, a few years back, one of the
league's (ECAC, perhaps?) got in trouble for calling its tournament
the [conference] Final Four. So we on H-L have come up
with creative, different alternatives such as Phinal Phour,
Final Fore and Last Quartet; personally, I usually
put "Final Four (sue me)".

BRI

--
Bri Farenell                  Hey parents: the kids' sports belong to the kids.
[log in to unmask]     WWW: http://fire.camp.clarkson.edu/~farenebt