From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 1995 18:42:52 -0500
NCAA East Regional Semi-Final:
MAINE 4  Denver 2  (Maine advances to NCAA Final Four)

Denver  0  1  1 --2
Maine   3  1  0 --4

First Period:

ME:  Thompson (Lovell, Frenette)  8:54
ME:  Lovell (Thompson)  11:48
ME:  Tory (Purdie, Rodrigue)  18:12 PP

SOG:  ME 15 DU 12

Second Period:

DU:  Laaksonsen (Dairon)  3:34
ME:  Cardinal (Conlan, Shermerhorn)  14:44

SOG:  ME 10  DU 10

Third Period:

DU:  Gunther (unassisted)  17:36

SOG:  DU 11  ME 4

Total SOG:  DU 33  ME 29

Goalies:  DU:  Wallinheimo (25 Saves)
          ME:  Allison  (31 Saves)

--------------------

This afternoon in the first East Regional Semi-final, Maine beat out a hard
working Denver team 4-2.  I think all Maine fans wondered how Maine would
respond after faltering in the Hockey East tournament, and they didn't have
to wait long.  Maine jumped on Denver 3-0 after the first period, and just
put the clamps on to win it.

In the first, Maine held a large territorial advantage early, but didn't
convert till the 8:54 mark when Jamie Thompson scored from Lovell and
Frenette, and then less than three minutes later Lovell tailed one to make
it 2-0.  Jeff Tory scored on a shot from the face off circle using a screen
from Brad Purdie at 18:12 on the power-play to give Maine all they would
need at 3-0.

Coach Walsh had his team practice all week "going upstairs" because
Wallinheimo spent a lot of time on the ice.  That was evident in the first
period as Maine's first two goals were off rebounds in which Wallinheimo was
down and out and Maine put it away upstairs.  Wallinheimo would play better
down the stretch, but he faced less pressure in the final two periods as well.

After watching the game I came away impressed with Denver, even though Maine
was ending their season they did not play chippy, and played very classy.
They worked hard in the third period especially, but Maine's defense and
Blair Allison turned them away.  Denver has nothing to really be ashamed of.
 Maine took advantage of Denver mistakes early, and DU could never rebound.

Blair Allison played what I feel may have been one of his greatest games of
the year.  Blair turned away 31 of 33 shots faced, many of which were
quality chances.  I have been one of the people who thought that Allison was
perhaps overrated somewhat because of the defense in front of him, but he
showed up ready to play, and it's great to see at this time of year.  If
Maine has solid goaltending and defense, they could be tough to beat down
the stretch!!

Now, on to Providence..

----
Deron  [log in to unmask]