From:
"Aiello, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aiello, Dave
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 12:03:33 U
Dear Fellow Readers:

Is anyone else becoming fed up with the attitude of some on our list
regarding our game's officials?  Many of those that have spoken out publicly
have shown a contemptable level of disrespect.  As an official who does over
100 games per year (in youth, high school, junior college, and ACHA-type
games), I am approaching the point where I will be outraged.

I salute those fair-minded people who have suggested that it is difficult to
put yourself in the skates of an on-ice official, when you yourself are
firmly planted in a seat in the stands.  Over time, I have come to the
conculsion that I should bite my tongue rather than criticize an official.
But, maybe that's because I have been on the receiving end of so much of
criticism myself.

I encourage everyone who has crticized an offcial publicly in this forum, to
attend a PeeWee or Bantam level hockey game at your local rink.  The example
you are setting for young hockey players jeopardizes the very future of our
sport.

We do not need any more 10, 11, and 12-year old children playing our sport
that cannot control their temper when the game is not playing out as they had
hoped.   We do not need any more 15, 16, and 17-year old children that shoot
the puck at, or otherwise attack, game officials.  Yet, there is an obvious,
long-term trend in place that few are willing to acknowledge.

I wonder what your children think when they hear you yell from the stands
about the terrible quality of the last call.  Or, do you not take them with
you to games?  Or, are you complete gentlemen and ladies in the stands,
saving your flames for your friends in the on-line community?

There is only one fair way to address this issue.  Netiquette should dictate
that the same respect be shown for officials as we require when discussing
our opponents.  Just as I cannot flame against Clarkson, St. Lawrence, BGSU,
or Lake Superior, I should not be able to flame about Harry Ammian or Bill
Jones.

Finally, every game official deserves the courtesy of being referred to by
his full name, or "Mr." and his last name.  If you, as a fan, cannot take the
time to find out an official's first name and include it in your article, how
can we be sure that you were paying close attention to the play you are
questioning?

Respectfully,

Dave Aiello, RPI '89
Consultant
J.P. Morgan & Company, Inc.

Former Rensselaer Mens' Hockey Manager
USA Hockey Level 4 Official
Member, USA Hockey Atlantic District Officiating Training Staff
Member, Metropolitan New York - New Jersey Chapter, NIHOA