From:
Brian Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 23:06:25 -0500
Some discussion has been going on concerning the fact that if the seedings
were calculated today, BU would carry the #1 seed over Maine.  As a
biased BU fan, I would like to add my 2 cents.

First off, Maine had been very impressive this season, blowing away all
preseason predictions.  After Saturday, does Maine deserve to be ranked
#1? I don't know.  Michigan and BU plead strong cases.

Maine has the best shot at winning Hockey East, but BU is very close.
Since they play the same # of teams the same # of times, the conference
battle (assuming they stay close) will be basically a wash. At least for
comparing the strengths of the two teams.

Seeing this, we must look at the non-conference play.  Strength of
schedule is important for the RPICH and I agree that it is an important
factor.  BU has had a much tougher schedule than Maine.  While BU is
playing above average teams like Minnesota, W.Michigan, RPI, Harvard,
and Vermont; Maine is playing 3 at Alaska-Fairbanks and hosting 2 against
St. Cloud, two below-average teams. (no flames intended)  Maine is winning
those games, but so is BU, against more impressive teams.  Even though
Maine has only 2 losses, they have *6* ties.  Maine has the same number
of "non-wins" as BU.  How different is a tie from a one goal loss? Well,
that is another whole discussion.  Anyway, BU seems to have been more
impressive (undefeated) in non-conference play.

As for head to head, when the RPICH is close, this becomes more of an
important factor.  Maine is 2-0-2 against BU, with the two wins coming by
only one goal.  One of the games (at Maine) the win was assured as BU
(I mean Maine) had a huge lead and BU closed the gap to one with only
9 (I think) seconds remaining.  The other (Freezeout) could have gone
either way as Maine won in OT after coming back from a deficit.  It is
worth noting that for the past few years BU has started slowly (not really
an excuse). The BU-Maine series was over early in the season.  The two
teams could be different at the end of the season. I wonder if Shawn Walsh
(and other coaches) have any say in scheduling?

I am not knocking Maine.  They are an excellent team and definitely one of
the top 3 in the NC$$.  I just think that there are valid reasons why BU
could (and maybe should) have a higher seeding than Maine at this point
of the season.

Brian Gentry  BU'95
GO TERRIERS!  BRING THE BEANPOT HOME!