From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 09:49:54 -0500

> Mike Machnik writes:
> > In Hockey East rinks, the league has mandated that the referee will
> > call the goal and assists are awarded from the press box.  There is no
> > video replay used in general, although it is taken advantage of when
> > the game is on tv and monitors are nearby.
>
> I officiate hockey as a way to unwind from my stressful job.  (?!)  I would
> be really surprised if such practices are consistant with the NCAA rules.  I
> know that the USA Hockey Playing Rules give that responsibility to the
> Referee.
>
> If I remember, I will check my NCAA Playing Rules when I go home.

Just happen to have it right here (man I gotta get this thing outta my office!)

Rule 5 section 3 h  on referees duties:

   The Referee shal announce to the official scorer or penalty timekeeper
   all goals and assists legally scored, as well as penalties, and for what
   infractions  such penalties are inmposed.
      The Name of the goal scorer and any player entitled to an assist will
    be announced on the public-adress system................

Rule 5 section 7 b  on duties of the official scorer:

    The official scorer shall keep a record of the goals scored and who
   scored them and the players to whom the assists have been credited and shall
   indicate those players on the lists who actually have taken partin the
   game ..............(stuff not relevant to assists)

        section 7 c

    The awarding of points for goals and assists shall be announced over
   the public-address system, and all changes in such awards also shall be
    announced in the same manner.
      No requests for changes in any awarding of points shall be
    considered unless they are made by the team captian at or before the
    conclusion of actual play.

There you have it according to the NCAA rule book.

Debate away.  What i read according to the book the referee is the only one
allowed to hand out assists. and requests for changes can come only from
the team captians....    Debate away! ;-)

Bob